Aldo Conterno is one of the historic names of Italian wine. The Conterno family has been making wine in Monforte since at least the 1700s. Aldo's grandfather, Giovanni Conterno, founded his own winery in 1908 which was then run by his son, Giacomo. After a stint in the USA in the 1950s, Aldo worked with his older brother Giovanni in this winery until he decided to strike out on his own in 1969. Aldo's three sons now make the wine (Stefano) and run the business (Franco and Giacomo).
85% of the fruit for this Barolo comes from a selection of the best vineyards on the Bussia Soprana hill. The remaining 15% comes from a vineyard, owned by the Conterno family, situated within the commune of Barolo, where vines are at least 25 years old.